Monday, January 21, 2019

Kalahari by Jessica Khoury

I went into this story excited to get my hands on one of Khoury's books, and she did not disappoint.  I was primarily excited because I actually attended the same college as she did, which is saying something because it is a small private college that very few people know of.  I saw her speak at one of our campus events several years ago after she graduated, and I have been aspiring to have a similar career someday.

The Kalahari takes you on an adventure to the semi-desert where a family of zoologists is studying the animal population. You find yourself attached to Sarah as the story is from her point of view, and you watch the story unfold as she is separated from her father.  She is left with a bunch of city kids her age who do not know the first thing about surviving in the wilderness when they are left alone without help or anybody they can contact. Soon they discover a white lion and secrets that endanger their lives and countless others.

Image result for kalahari book image
The first thing that drew me into the book was definitely the plot. It was well thought out and executed with definite plot points that had me reading to find out what would happen next. The characters were also entertaining as very different personalities clashed within the group. Additionally, the detail was gorgeous and not overused. At the end of the book, I was not surprised to find that she had actually gone to the Kalahari, which she mentioned in her acknowledgements. I can definitely see this being used in a classroom to educate children not just on climate and ecosystems, but on several science concepts that were integral to the plot (even with the science fiction woven in there).  I will definitely be looking into her other books and will watch as she publishes more.

No comments:

Post a Comment