Thursday, August 16, 2012

Before You Meet Prince Charming by Sarah Mally

A beautiful book about remaining pure emotionally and physically in a fallen world.

The book is made specifically for girls who may not have been subject to the things of the world yet.  It talks about things without taking your innocence.  One of the comments in the back of the book sent in by a reader describes this well.  It said something to the effect of "It doesn't compromise your purity while talking about purity", (I'd give you the exact words but I already loaned the book out to a friend :) ). But it is also good for young adults like me by giving them a different perspective on life.  I learned alot and thought about relationships in a much different way.  Some of what Sarah talks about seems extreme compared to this world (but we are called to be in the world and not of it), however I found that it was supported with Bible verses and the truth was enlightening.  I really liked the part about it isn't how much you can do before becomming unpure but how many "firsts" you can save for your future husband.  I really wish I had read this a few years ago. 

My mom actually got it for me for christmas because I was always so sad and mopey that I didn't have a boyfriend like everyone else.  Now I see that God has protected my heart from being broken and that I want to give my future spouse my whole heart.  I had a hard time reading it from beginning to end because each chapter was like a slap in the face but the good kind of pain that makes you grow in Christ.  I recently finished the book and am glad I did.  I have been recommending it to friends who I hope will get out of it as much as I did.

In addition, I have always liked reading medival fiction and the little continuation of the short story at the beginning of each chapter was a creative way to keep the reader's attention.  The testimonies and real life examples helped you feel like you weren't alone and that purity is possible.  Even though the author may not have been married when she wrote the book, the need of hearing this from someone who is there and struggling with the same things you are, is met in a powerful way.

I recommend this to girls who wish to be bright lights in a dark world and to have a Godly marriage someday.  I even read in the comments that adult women have gained from this so to them I recommend it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment