Sunday, May 14, 2017

For Love and Honor by Jody Hedlund

This is a book that I found while out thrift shopping yesterday. What immediately drew me to the book was the beautiful front cover and the summary on the back of the book.  When I got home, I picked up the book, not having read anything from this author, and could not put it down. I stayed up late just to finish it. It has been awhile since a story captivated me enough to take all of my attention for hours, especially as a first year teacher during the last few weeks of school. It was a much needed reprieve from the chaos at school.

What really drew me to the story was Lady Sabine's imperfection. She has a skin discoloration that in the 1300s she has to hide so people do not think that she is a witch.  Because of this imperfection, she pushes all potential suitors away, which is something I identified with, especially before I met my husband two years ago.  Most girls have some imperfection that they consider to make them less than lovable whether it be physical, mental, or social, making this story relate-able for its teen audience. Connecting to this idea, the story then focuses on how the inside is what makes a person attractive, a lesson that young adults need to hear.

Besides the underlying theme, the story included an interesting plot with twists and turns that I did not expect, comical banter that makes you smile, and characters that come alive with the authors well written words. Overall, I would not hesitate to suggest this book to my middle school students and any other book lovers out there who want an innocent and interesting love story to read.


No comments:

Post a Comment