Monday, November 15, 2010

Streams to the River, River to the Sea by Scott O'Dell

163 Pages: Sacagawea's Story

This story of an Indian Princess is well known to many but not the details.  Not even I knew that Sacagawea had a disturbing love story within the great westward expedition.  The story starts off with her capture by the Minnetarees when they attack her tribe, the Shoshones, which ends up leading her to join Lewis and Clark's expedition.  With trials around every corner, this Princess is forced to be strong and courageous against the odds and still be a mother to her young baby.  Though some parts are sad or brutal, you can learn from these mistakes of others.  All in all, this was an exciting book that piqued my interest and I gladly recommend it to other young readers.

(This book was part of my Sonlight U.S. History curriculum and I recommend it to other home school families.)

No comments:

Post a Comment