Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Last Descendants (Assassin's Creed: Last Descendants #1) by Matthew J. Kirby

I enjoyed reading this teen fiction story, which is usually a genre that has a hard time keeping my attention.  However, I bought this book at my school book fair and wanted to read it before putting it in my classroom library.  It helped that I enjoyed the Assassin's Creed movie that came out awhile ago.

Basically, the story is about a boy who wants to prove his dad's innocence of a crime even though his dad has already died in prison. An technology worker at his school allows him to get access to the Animus that allows people to go back into their ancestor's memories in a type of virtual reality. However, the boy and his friend find more than they bargain for when they come across something two agencies have been fighting over for hundreds and thousands of years.

Once I got past the first third of the book, the story took off. He did a good job setting and explaining the background; however, it kept him from starting the action and catching his readers' attention within the first few chapters of the book.  I also loved the historical detail present from real-life events; I could see this book or specific passages used in a middle school history class about the civil war.  He also did a good job incorporating diversity within his characters and story through race, disability and other prominent topics in adolescents and society. After reading it, I have decided to put it in my classroom library, but I almost kept it for my own book collection at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment